Saturday, June 24, 2006

Too...many...books...


10 pounds, to be exact. Too much, I know. But I am hampered by the feeling that I will NEED them all at some point or another....I am also hampered by the silly inability to ease the situation by tearing up the guidebooks and only bringing the parts I'll use, or just deciding to leave the guidebooks behind as I go. Because if I leave them behind, then they can't live in the little "travel" section of my bookcase when I come home. :)




6 comments:

Erin said...

such a nice thought, such a nice thought. but, no, I can't. now i feel selfish in addition to feeling sheepish and a little silly. :)

Anonymous said...

photo copy only the pages you need.

Phil C said...

No easy solutions when you'll want to bring them back to your travel bookshelf. We've run into a similar (though less severe) situation on our last couple of trips, and our solution was to rank the usefulness of each book ahead of time and leave some behind. Or you could kindly ask Gretchen to take some of them. Or invite me to come along and carry them for you.

Erin said...

best solution yet = sherpa Phil
most likey = photocopy a la Pete
:)

D said...

another high-tech solution I offer you...

Bring some and with others scan pages you might need and store the scans in your gmail drafts folder - print out as/if needed.

Probably too much work to do.

But as your friend with similar "collecting" tendencies, travel books are like merit badges - need to be displayed on your "bookshelf sash" with pride and joy.

FYI - I did cut the Eastern Europe guidebook. But when you are only going to one of the 10 countries and have no one to share the burden of hauling it around - you gotta give in. But both halves will delightfully displayed on my shelf. :-)

D said...

Also - are you going to Bilbao?