Monday, July 14, 2008

Gloomy Day, not Gloomy Travelers!

Yep, it was overcast in NYC today, but the rain was over before we were up and about, (that is to say, it rained on the people going to work, not on the vacationers sleeping in until 10 :). The plan today was to head to Brooklyn, get acquainted with what would be the 4th largest city in the U.S. if it were its own city, and find Jacques Torres' chocolate shop. Check, check, and check.

Brooklyn was interesting, but seen from a tour bus perhaps less so. Getting out and walking around the DUMBO area was great, and we found the chocolate shop just fine:


And here's the cookie we got:

And my sister says it's a poor cookie that can't grease it's own bottom. I think this one's doing just fine...


Needing to work off the cookie and wanting the experience of seeing the Manhattan skyline emerge before our eyes, we headed on foot back across the Brooklyn Bridge. Obligatory pictures, one arty, one cheesy:


Next, we decided to try to catch a few highlights of the American Museum of Natural History. There's a show in the planetarium we'd heard was great. Alas, after a few subway mishaps and a long walk 'cross the park on foot, we arrived too late for the space show. We went in anyway and saw lots of dinosaurs. Look how cute this big guy is, feeding the baby like that:


By this time in the day, saying that we were "tired and hot" is like saying that clowns are only a little bit scary. "Exhausted and super sticky" is more like it. I laid down on the cool marble floor to take the picture above, and it felt...so...good. I didn't want to get up. Here's how we looked, too bad you can't tell exactly how sticky we were:

So Gretchen had the best idea yet of the day - we took a cab home. So great...so worth it...and I never would have let myself do that on my own. I was all set to walk back across the park, wait in the 100+ temps in the subway, and then walk home from the station. Hooray for G.

We rested for a while, then headed to Five Points in the East Village for a delicious dinner, D's recommendation...and while we did enjoy the chocolate brioche bread pudding, I have to say that I think D made it just as well at home. :)

Tomorrow we have big plans...plans that include getting up and out of the pod before 9. We will reward ourselves for this by having a pretzel croissant for breakfast. Have I mentioned how good those are?

9 comments:

Dana Lundblad said...

Man, o man! When (if) I go back to NYC, I'm having one of those pretzel things every day! They look really tasty. I think I may see if I can find a recipe on the handy-dandy internets.

Bora said...

Good for you, Gretchen. You're on vacation...take a cab...take a cab...take a cab...

jillyg said...

am i the only reader out here that thinks the idea of a pretzel croissant is gross!?

Bora said...

for me, it's not a matter of gross or not gross...I just don't get it. But that COOKIE! mmmm

marguerite said...

hurrah for gretchen! tho i hate humidity, i think i'd take any amount for those chocolate chip cookies (my favorite food of all) but i think i agree with jillyg about the pretzel croissants. when we were in college, brooklyn was still considered unsafe (we got mugged walking to our friend's place in park slope) but now i hear it's quite trendy.

D said...

sticky hot is the worst! hooray for cabs! and hooray for gretchen who opened that door!

i hope the rest of Five Points was worth the visit. otherwise, i guess you could have just had my CBBP - and you still can! :-)

Lynn! did you hear that? you may not have missed out on too much that night when you were puking!

Unknown said...

This has nothing to do with the post, but what the heck is up with Brett Favre??!! He's wiggity wiggity whack and he's on crack! I know that because I sold it to him. Just kidding. But seriously, please tell him to stay retired!!!

Erin said...

pretzel croissant - not gross, for reals.

cookie - wish i had another right now, and could bring you all one.

Brett Favre - causing me great angst. I'm not sure what on earth he's thinking, but I never thought it would come to this. Makes my stomach hurt.

kathleeng said...

Yeah, lying on the cool marble floor is the only way to handle the humid heat! Lie down on the floor of every museum in NYC. That might give the guards a rush. When I was a kid, we often slept on the floor (hardwood, not marble, but equally cooling) to escape the heat.