Hey there everyone!
We are on the sunny-but-not-swelteringly hot isle of Naxos, also in the Aegean. We've decided to set up camp here for four or five more days, and are enjoying the settled feeling that gives. Pictures and regular travel news to come...but first, since several of you have asked, here's a little update on our travel style/experience so far.
Overall: Great! From my (erin's) point of view, this vacation has been much less scheduled than any of my others, though I've realized as we jaunt about that Greece just doesn't lend itself to the style of travel that I've done in the past. (For example, there would have been no way to schedule this whole island part from the states....there are no authoritative ferry schedules on the internet, and most places we've stayed don't have websites, etc.)
Yes, there was a moment at the Reed's house before we left when we realized that one of us never travels with sleeping bags and sheets and the other always does...but I think we've found pretty cheap places that still provide us with all the essentials, so that's been good. Plus also, Loretta has a huge appreciation for air con., so she's been very happy that all our places have had that. (Of course, in Thessaloniki it barely worked, in keeping with our entire experience there...)
Lo watches bemusedly as I "settle" whenever we arrive at our room. (Gretchen and Deanna, I'm sure you remember that routine). I like to feel at home. She is always the first one packed and ready to go when it's time to leave, and patiently waits while I finish fussing with whatever I'm doing to be ready. She also has ideas that I would never have about what to do next (for example, we abandoned our entire itinerary up in Thessaloniki about going to an island up near there, took the fast train back to Athens, and started from scratch - all her idea), but I think it's safe to say that I've been pretty game and flexible as our plans change. I just asked her if this was true and she agreed, phew.
All of the comings and goings and flying by the seat of our pants have still made for a very relaxing vacation so far. I just wish I was winning more at cribbage. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment