Thursday, April 07, 2011

Nous sommes ici, en Paris!

Loretta, Anna, Kate and I arrived on the fast train from Brussels around mid-morning yesterday. Wes and Bora met us outside their apartment, and after we all stumbled up the 98 stairs to their top-floor digs, we collapsed in a heap. Then, we rallied, especially since they had prepared a picnic for us, so we headed out to enjoy bread, camembert, roast chicken, and some leftover Belgian chocolate we'd brought along. We couldn't believe the excellent weather, and neither could a lot of other folks who were picnicking and laying about in the gardens in front of the Louvre. Bora and Anna, with La Tour Eiffel in the background.

The little neighborhood park just steps from our apartment. I took another picture of a group of nannies gathered with their charges since it reminded me so much of Berkeley.

Next, we headed to buy our 6 day museum passes and then to the Louvre. I know many of you have been there, but some haven't, and I think really the sheer hugeness of the place just can't be captured in pictures. It is truly an amazing place.

The Winged Victory of Samothrace

Anna looking at one of the biggest paintings in the whole place, The Coronation of Napoleon.

Amazed by Michelangelo

Imitating Michelangelo's Dying Slave

Leaving the Louvre, for now...we'll be back.

A little street shot from our walk home.

1 comment:

sharonhi said...

You know, I always think of the winged victory (along with other amazingly famous works of art) when I think of the Louvre- I think its prominent place in the museum and on the cover of the huge Janson art history book has emblazoned the image on my brain and in my body. I love it. How's the French coming? I like how you pointed out the Eiffel Tower behind Bora. It looks like a distant street lamp.