So, today was another lovely day on Naxos.
We woke up, headed into "town" for our morning spanakopita from the best bakery on the island. (and followed it with a chocolate-filled doughnut, still warm!)
Then, we embarked on our newly-hatched plan to rent motorbikes to get around the island for the next few days. I must admit, I was nervous. My two worst fears: having the guy at the rental place tell me I had no idea what I was doing and I couldn't rent after all, and secondly, somehow dumping the bike and skidding across the pavement. (I was just thinking, "I have to exude the fact that I know what I'm doing, even though I don't really remember how to do this).
We filled out all the paperwork, were pleased as punch with the price - 18 euro for three days - and Lo got on her bike and put putted away down the street. I got on. I promptly moved my hand the wrong way to give it gas, and the guy sighed and said, "You don't know what you're doing at all. Please, please, if you're not comfortable, come back and rent a 4 wheeler". I assured him I would be just fine, and quickly headed away. (Meanwhile, I've turned right at the police station and am waiting, wondering if already something really bad has happened).
I found Lo at the Po-Po corner as we were instructed to go to head out toward the beaches, and we were soon on the open road. Ah, so nice. Wind in our faces, passing poor folks who were walking all the way there, and at the end of the ride, this:
(SpyCam also accompanied us on the journey, and literally caught someone with their pants down!)
So there we were, two happy girls on the beach, reading our books, dipping occasionally into the surprisingly frigid sea....
But then I popped up, aware that my right side had several very stinging parts, Lo asked if I was OK, I said don't get too close, I don't want to bleed on you. (I asked if she wanted water to clean up. She said "Let's just go back home". I said OK. She popped back on and led the way.)
I was determined not to cry. I didn't either, until I got into the shower at our room, the stinging water hit the stinging parts....and then later when Lo helpfully put hydrogen peroxide on them, since that's all we had. Well anyway, here's the picture:

13 comments:
those scrapes look painful. I'm glad you're okay. but does ice cream really do much for a cut?
spycam: nice work. don't be to hard on that guy. I mean, it's much better to have tan lines on your upper thighs than on your butt! or maybe his bottom needed some kind of sun therapy? probable theories abound...
oops. "too hard."
Ouch! Did you guys rent actual motorcycles or scooters? Either way I'm very impressed. Post a photo of the bikes!
I think I'm gonna make that spycam photo my desktop picture...
(o:
Ice cream ALWAYS helps. Regardless of circumstances.
I think it's the alcohol that "helped". Korrectos? I don't think that is proper Greek.
I feel so bad for you, Erin. And am glad that you avoided something much worse. Did you have ever think the four-wheeler was a better idea? Loretta's a great support at times like that (remember the stroller in the rain in London?)- I am glad she was with you!
way to get back on the horse. i've noticed you've been eating spanakopita for breakfast almost everyday, but only today did you (lo) mention eating a sweet breakfast goody afterward. i don't get how you could eat a spinach for breakfast and not get dessert immediately everytime. do you?
That's quite a story - uncertainty, exhilaration, voyeurism, glory, uh-oh, pain, and consolation.
Glad you're all patched up and in good spirits. Lo, way to go as the SAG van!
Well, pal. You have now been officially initiated into the motorbike club!
Cheers and spanakopita, friends!
a good way to engender blog comments: hurt yourself.
I got flashbacks of a similar wipeout I had on a moped in Cozumel. Leaving those top layers of skin on the road sure hurts.
For future reference, unless the abrasion is super dirty (say with feces, for instance), don't let a "friend" pour peroxide on a fresh wound; it stings like heck and kills off the good cells that are trying to start the healing process. Just rinse with water to get the dirt and gravel out. Apply a thin layer of antibiotic ointment, then a non-adherent dressing. A nice scab should form in about a week which you can then pick at for the rest of the trip. Enjoy.
Dr. Park's comments are so very practical and informative.
Somehow I don't think a comment about branding, fonts, or kerning would be as helpful.
(shrug)
Motorcycles scare me. I never wanna ride one ever.
Be safe.
you're REALLY having an adventure! i'm glad you're okay . . .makes for a good story, but i hope both of you stay wound-free the rest of the trip!
Jood--oh man, I remember that fall!
note to self: do not pour hp on wound unless I've cut myself on a piece of crap.
Post a Comment