We set out to find Polom, which looked so tiny on Google maps that I wasn't sure our GPS (his nickname is "Daniel") would be able to find it. But Daniel was a champ today - he led us directly there.

We wound through more of the beautiful scenery that we'd seen earlier in Slovenia - alpine meadows, little ponds, cows, fields of wild flowers all around. Here's the road to Polom, complete with a little hand-painted map to show th
We slowly came around a curve, and suddenly there was the sign, a few houses, and not much else. I thought that was going to be it, so Erin I. (always a completely willing helper) took a little video while I drove:

As you can see from the end of the video, I was excited to find that there was a little church, so we pulled over to take a look.


It turned out that house #13 was right across the road:
where lived an older gentleman who didn't speak English but understood that we wanted to see the church, and walked us over there to open up:

It was pretty amazing to know that this building, from 1638, was the parish church where my great great grandmother would have worshipped - a place she would certainly have been in many times. We let the little old man lock up the church, and headed to the tiny cemetery across the way. I had low hopes that we'd find any gravestone with the family name Gliebe, especially after all that happened. Erin and I were searching the oldest ones, at the fringes of the little plot, when I found this:









3 comments:
Hmm. First part is "Here lies buried Franziska Gliebe..." but I can't really see the rest very well. And I don't know what Kukendor means. Perhaps it's a proper noun?
In any case, cool! What a great experience!
The church and the graveyard are great discoveries, but...weren't you driving a little fast? I mean, what if you had hit a long-lost relative? Talk about awkward!
Very cool!!
Post a Comment