Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Quirks

We all have quirks - some more than others. Certainly I have my fair share. As I was packing tonight, I took a picture of a few small details. Stay tuned to the end of the post for an introduction to an important new travel partner!

Each bag has exactly 27 vitamins and q-tips, respectively. It's my own little way of counting down the days of vacation. I love the tidiness of having no extra at the end of the trip.

The spreadsheet. Love it. Can't wait to see the places I've been reading about.

My new reading companion. It's an eclectic and optimistic list, I'll admit.

No need to stop at the ATM right away! I uncovered some Euros from last summer that will come in handy.

The story of this candle is a perfect example of how I can turn a simple thing into one that's quite complex. When we went to Greece, Sharon gave Lo and I some little travel candles to take. One in particular is called "Fig", and we would take it up to the roof patio of our hotel in Athens, enjoy the view of the brightly-lit Parthenon, and play cribbage in the late evenings when things finally cooled down. Smelling this candle brings me right back to that lovely rooftop, and I wanted one to bring on this trip. Unfortunately, it's very very hard to find this candle ANYWHERE around here (believe me, I tried), but I finally found a company in Virginia and after one failed shipment process, I finally got my little fig candle in the mail last week. See? Complicated.

And now...introducing a slimmer and more colorful version of Big Mama:


I call him Popeye.

8 comments:

Bora said...

Loved this post. You have fewer quirks than many I know...but if you and I were in a race-to-quirkiness, you'd win, hands down.

I guess now I know that you clean your ears every day with a q-tip...might this be the origin of your ear-related phobias?

Dana Lundblad said...

Wait... what were the quirky things??

D said...

Wait! You let Popeye's wheels hit your comforter?! They must still be clean then. :-) Wasn't this post about quirks?

marguerite said...

I read your comment to R. Her response: "But she's not like that at MSG! She's one of the mellow ones." Guess a different side of Ms. Schweng emerges when she travels.

Erin said...

M- just wait til I'm herding all of them to Belgium to visit Stasia. She'll see that side of me...

Really, these things weren't quirky enough, you guys?

Dana Lundblad said...

Oh, and yeah for the Slightly Intrepid Traveler blog! I wonder if we'll get any 'layover' posts...

sharonhi said...

I am looking forward to following you around on your blog. I'll have to name my suitcase...stay tuned.

Wendy H. said...

I didn't think your travel habits were quirky. They're more...obsessive compulsive? JK. They're fun and made me smile.