This is how Portrush was described for us by a woman in Derry when we said that's where we were headed next. And if it weren't raining very hard for most of the morning, we might have actually seen people on the beach. And the big, silly, arcade. And the very American-looking traveling circus called "Circus Vegas". As it was, we kept our holiday activities to the ones we like - natural wonders, castles, and a bit of golf.
Here's a view of the Anterim Coast which we were driving back and forth along all day to get to all our various places. There are signs officially designating it as a P.E.N.B. (Place of Extraordinary Natural Beauty)
Can you find Waldo at Dunluce Castle?
This castle was abandoned in the 1600's after a dinner party one night in which half the kitchen and several servants fell into the sea.
The Giant's Causeway - those silly geologists chalk it up to the way the basalt collumns cooled after a volcanic explosion. The Irish know better and have lots of legends and stories of its creation that are much more interesting.
A close up from when I was climbing about (carefully) on the wet rocks
I was happy I made it to the top, but then I realized getting down was going to take quite longer than getting up there...
How we ended our day - rented a few clubs for a 9-hole Pitch and Putt at the Royal Portrush Course. £6 for this beats £120 for the 18-hole proper course just next door. We rented the clubs from a very nice gentleman who asked us where we were from, and when we said "Berkeley" he said, "Ah - been there! Had a very pleasant meal at Chez Panisse! Alice Waters!" It made me glad that I'd been there at least once so I could keep up with the conversation! My low-hole score was 4, my high was...10.
3 comments:
Great pics!
Now did you anticipate so much golf on this trip?
And any tryptaphobics get the quivers? Giant's Causeway, eek!
Just pick it up after 6 man
i'm with doug, that's the way we play at the golden tee.
Post a Comment