Thursday, July 09, 2009

On the road

Urquhart Castle, on the shores of Loch Ness

We did in fact spend most of yesterday on the road. And except for the busier highway we took along the shores of Loch Ness to get here to Inverness, most of the driving consisted of cruising along single track roads, which has a rhythm of its own. See approaching car, flash lights if you're going to pull over, or if they flash their lights, you keep going and give a friendly wave as you pass. From my very informal survey, I'd put the percentage of folks giving the friendly wave at at least 85%.

Loch Ness is very narrow, very deep, and very long. We drove along it for what seemed like a long time before finally arriving in Inverness. And, with the foggy, gloomy weather, the whole drive was very atmospheric.

View from the restaurant where we had a delicious Indian dinner.
After, we walked a loop around the river Ness.


We've just had another quite heavy breakfast - including my first taste of haggis, upon which I pronounce thumbs up. And now back to the road - this time fast roads back to Edinburgh and our last day in Scotland.

5 comments:

sharonhi said...

Haggis, really thumbs up? Was it like liverwurst? I'm wondering who will write something witty about Loch ness.

I feel weird being the first one to comment. Like, rapture. Glad you are still having an amazing time, if you get this message and are still on this earth. I thought I loved traveling was observant and interested, but after reading your blog, I have decided that I must just move through space listlessly acknowledging borders and occasional works of art.

Unknown said...

OK Sharon, I'll join you in commenting ;-)

Erin, I'm so envious-you are going to all my FAVOURITE places and your descriptions are clear & poetic.
Photos/videos are great & you are getting authentic Scottish weather!
I'll keep reading. JJ

Erin said...

Thanks for reading - and commenting. I guess if it was the rapture, bad news for us three, huh?

I've never had liverwurst, so I can't say...but aside from some textural issues, the taste was great. I figure I like oatmeal, and I like onions, and I didn't think a whole lot about the other stuff. :)

JJ - thanks for reading, hope you still read when I'm not in your favorite places anymore! Hope to be here with you someday!

Bora said...

Sorry I didn't comment sooner. I was out getting the number of the beast tattooed on my forehead.

Phil C said...

Cunliffes and Hansens ate at the very same Indian restaurant overlooking the River Ness a number of years ago. We still remember it very fondly.

One of my favorite memories from Inverness was while out on a walk we met an older gentleman walking his two Scottish Terriers--one named Perry, and the other named . . . Winkel.