THE DOME: The cathedral (duomo) has an incredible dome (cupola) that was the first of its kind since antiquity and an architectural wonder of the day. My favorite fact about it is that the workers had to climb up at dawn, not leave till dusk, and there was a kitchen installed at the top so they would have no excuse to go back down. They worked for twenty years....but boy, is it amazing. Today we climbed the 460+ steps to the top and got to see the frescoes from very close...also, outside, on the top, you can see all of Florence's landmarks spread out below you....
DAVID: So I know those of you who've seen him have your own thoughts and impressions, but for those of you who haven't, I just want to say that he is pretty great. It's remarkable to me that something I'd seen so many pictures of over the years could still be so impressive in person. He's big, towering over viewers, and he's a masterpiece, yes, but most of all what I remember is that he looks like he's someone I'd want to have a conversation with; he looks thoughtful, and kind.
FOOD: specifically, two things: gelato, of which we've tried the following flavors...rice, orange-chocolate, peach-amoretto, coffee/chocolate chip, chocolate mousse, "cookie", and a few more I can't spell. The gelato here is simply the best. Another food highlight is a little place called "I Fratellini" (The Brothers) that serves the best little sandwiches ever with a glass of wine right on the street for 4 euro. I've had three of their sandwiches in two days...finally today one of the brothers asked me if I liked their food, and I asked how many they sold each day, and he said, with a shrug, "Not so many, but it's a good life". I think he's being modest; the place is packed every time we walk by.
There's so much more to say, but this is already long and I want to try to send some more photos. (Thanks Doug, you did a great job posting them :)
Tomorrow morning we leave for Cinque Terre, on the west coast...
much love,
Erin

2 comments:
It's ART, my uncultured brother!
further proof of your phillistine-like nature. sad, really. actually, by the way, in Florence, they sell boxers of his "area". Deanna said I should get you some for your gift after your first comment. :)
Post a Comment