Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Final Dingle Day

Today was a very mellow day, partly because I wasn't feeling so well, kind of fluish. I feel better tonight - not ready to run a marathon or anything, but since I'm never ready for that, I guess it's not so bad.

I did rally in the late morning and we went for a drive to a little beach that we hadn't been able to find yesterday. On the way, we had a good view of Dingle's own Sleeping Giant:


We were able to enjoy the beach for at least 30 minutes until the rain came and we scurried back to our car along with everyone else. I did manage to walk in the surf a little bit...so so cold!


Finally, there was a plaque on the beach commemorating another Far and Away location. Funny, do you remember the movie being primarily about the contrast between Ireland's scenery vs. the USA? :)


After more resting, a delicious late lunch in town where we saw our B&B owners (good to know they really do believe in their recommendations!), we went back to the Pitch and Putt for round 2. While I only did one point better than last time, I did manage a hole-in-two. (Lo tells me there is no golf word for this, which is surprising, since there seems to be a golf word for nearly everything else.)

Tomorrow we head north, to a little town called Doolin, which will be our jumping off point for the Aran islands later this week. Cheers!

6 comments:

Dana Lundblad said...

Glad to hear that the bug didn't get you down! Enjoying your blog (as always).

And there is definitely power in advertising. I've been thinking (since you first mentioned Far & Away), "hmm... maybe I should netflix that... was it any good? only seem to recall a little scene with a flowerpot." But clearly it's a tremendous commentary on the superiority of the old country. (o;

Erin said...

I've just put it on my netflix queue for when i get back! :)

Dana Lundblad said...

(o:

I bet it's found its way into several queues at this point!

jillyg said...

i love far and away, what a tear jerker!!

sharonhi said...

I guess I remember Far and Away being set mainly in the US, but it starts in Ireland. And, I bet you'll have something to say about Tom Cruise's accent.

Hey, have you visited any St. Patrick sites?

dy said...

I like the "critically acclaimed" part ;)