Monday, July 06, 2009

"Recalculating"

I borrowed Loretta's GPS for this trip. We call him Daniel, since "British Daniel" is the voice she chose for the audio. He seems really happy to be in the UK, as he's very much more able to pronounce place names here than at home. "San Jose" throws him, "Loch Lomond", no problem.

Today we set out from Edinburgh in pouring rain, and at first Daniel wasn't very cooperative, as we couldn't figure out how to tell him that yes, we wanted to visit a little town called Kilmartin, but we didn't want to take the fastest possible way to get there. He doesn't really get inefficiency for the sake of the scenic route. He said "Recalculating!" lots of times. Finally we figured it out, and it was pretty smooth sailing from there forward.

So in the end we sailed along past clearing skies, the proverbial black-faced sheep in stone-walled meadows, with castles on rocky outcroppings here and there. The castle of note today was the one at Stirling, which is near where the Battle of Bannockburn took place. (Braveheart, William Wallace, etc).

So since I'm in an internet cafe, and tired from all the drivin' - I'll close with a few photos from the day:

Our breakfast table in Edinburgh this morning before we left, taken by Erlend, who kindly gave us driving tips and a lunch suggestion for today.


Mossy rock wall, aka Erin likes to use the macro digital feature sometimes...


Old, old church yard (14th cent and later) with pastoral scene in background.


There's a teddy bear on my bed here in the B&B!


And finally, cheers to a good day, safe driving, and being on holiday in general!

6 comments:

Bora said...

I dare you to steal that bear.

Erin said...

shameful. terribly shameful.

Phil C said...

How does the beer compare to American micro-brews?

Erin said...

Well I had something called the Tartan Special, which was the darkest thing they had on tap, and while it was tasty, I'd take a Guiness or any of the darker microbrews at home any day...they do, however, have various whiskey's on tap...the beer here almost seems like an afterthought.

sharonhi said...

You look so happy! I'm glad Daniel is finally cooperating with you, given in, knuckled under, whatever. How's the kindle? I actually was just going over the map of Great Britain with Kai last night and thought fondly of you.

Anonymous said...

Getchu some whiskey!