Hello!
Yesterday Gretchen and I had our own tiny Tour de France of sorts. According to Rick Steves, the castles we wanted to visit were and easy 30 minute bike ride away, so we set off, through hill and forest, riding up and down and around a beautiful lake, across the border to Germany, and found the castles. It involved many more hills than we had anticipated, and Gretchen wanted to try going back a different way, so we did. (This of course, after several hours of two castle tours and lots of hiking around bewteen them). But, Gretchen was convinced we could find a flat way, and I suppose that we did, but in doing so got lost, and finally when we stopped and asked for directions (after carrying our bikes up and down a bridge that led over a waterfall, and trying to go up a road that clearly had not been used in years), we found that we were only a few km from our hotel :) So hooray, we made it home, and only minutes before a big thunderstorm with lots of wind and pelting rain blew in! (As we helped clear the outside tables of the restaurant here, the waitress said, "you have hurricanes in the U.S., we have this!" -it was really windy).
So we spent a quiet evening, and planned for Munich, for which we are leaving in a few minutes. It's raining pretty hard today, so we're glad to be driving again and not out on foot or pedal.
More from Munich!
erin
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
OK, I think Phil wants me to tell you my salt mine tour story. When I was six I went there. My father took me and my two brothers. However, to put on your cool salt miner uniform, you have to go to gender segregated changing rooms. So, I, an unescorted, first grader, in a foreign country, enter a very crowded locker room, filled with enormous women (at least to a six year old) change into the salt suit, and come back out to find the rest of my family. Only I could not find them. And I could not find them. And I could not find them. A few of the enormous German women grabbed me (much like they did when I was stung by wasps on the same trip in Burchesgarten, but that's another story)and started to ask men if they were my father (as if somehow the women would have to interrogate men to find out my father). Finally, connection was made (yes, my male family members were looking for me!). I think there's still a crazy picture of us sitting on a mining car with our tour. I remember it was like the pirates of the carribean ride but without the pirates (or the carribean).
dana...great story, although having been there in the crowds, I do feel extra bad for your six year old self. also, gretchen and I bought the picture of us in our suits and the mine, so, "jood", visuals are on their way...
Post a Comment